I love doing anything DIY if I can help it, especially if it will help save money in my pocket. Though I love Sephora, sometimes the things they sell can be a bit pricey when I could just make the item myself. For instance, I recently got a sample of a Brown Sugar Scrub and body wash. I thought “I could make this then I wouldn’t have to buy this!”
So I went searching around Google and Pinterest to see if I could find any DIY Brown Sugar Scrub but as I saw some Coffee scrubs, I thought “Wait, we use Rooibos loose tea, maybe I could incorporate this too!”
More searching only to find one or the other.
So…I made my own. Here’s how to make my Brown Sugar Autumn Body Scrub (I call it a Autumn Scrub because it smells more like Fall/Autumn time to me) :
- 1 cup of sugar or Brown Sugar (We don’t eat sugar in our house, so I used Truvia Crystals and added Molasses to make Brown Sugar until I got the consistency I liked, then added it to this recipe you might need only 1/3 cup if using Truvia. I did one cup and had to add more)
- **1 tbsp Loose Leaf Rooibos Tea (or more if desired) (If you only have tea bags, just cut open the tea bags for the amount you need/desire)(You can leave this step out if you don’t want it. The tea crystals are pretty messy in the shower, but not so bad in a bath, though beware of clogging your tub)
- 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vitamin E, (cut open vitamin 4-6 Vitamin E liquid gel caps)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or your favorite citrus essential oil (optional)
- 1/3 cup liquid oil – either almond, avocado, olive, or coconut. I like Olive Oil best but we also use Almond Oil in our house so sometimes I mix them together so I get a bit of both.
- If desired for dry skin, add a tbsp of Raw Honey
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine oil, vitamin E and vanilla. Add the brown sugar and mix well.
- Add your oil and mix together, it shouldn’t be to dry or two wet. If the mixture is dripping off your spoon, it’s too wet.
- Store in a container with a tight fitting lid and use whenever you feel the urge for a spa night!
- The above amount makes enough for your entire body, for a few washes.
To Use: In the shower, apply Brown Sugar Body Scrub into skin and rinse. Can be used daily.
**Trixie Tip: Please be aware that oils can make the shower and bath surfaces very slippery so remember to rinse well with hot water afterwards and wipe down so others (and yourself) do not fall. Also little rubber feet at the bottom of the shower or bath help you from sliding as well. If you don’t have that, I generally put a medium town down underneath me so I don’t fall.
Gift Packaging Idea: Though Mason Jars are GREAT for this, not everyone has them. Instead, save plastic containers from other products and replace the label with one I made myself on the computer. I use Washi Tape and fabric and a bow. Tie it up with a colorful ribbon and you have a wonderful homemade beauty gift!
**Sugar Scrub Variations
- Pumpkin Pie Scrub: 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 tsp vitamin E oil and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spices (or just 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
- Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub: 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tsp Vitamin E oil and 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- Lemon Hand Scrub (for after washing dishes): 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/2 tspvitamin E oil, 15-20 drops (or more) of lemon or orange essential oil
- Vanilla Lavender Relaxing Facial Scrub: 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup almond oil, 1/2 tspVitamin E oil, 1/2 tsp real vanilla extract and 15 drops lavender essential oil