One of my favorite foods in the entire world is Kale. And I’ve only been eating it for a few years now. I discovered it from some of my closet friends who are health and nutrition coaches along the East Coast and in California. Not only is kale an amazing food, but also it has some incredible benefits that make me love it even more. Best news, kale is so versatile! You can use it in salads, pastas, stews, smoothies, and more!
Some of the incredible benefits of kale include:
- Low in calorie
- High in fiber
- Filled with so many nutrients it would boggle your mind such as, iron, vitamin K, calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- Considered an anti-inflammatory food
- Great for cardiovascular support
- Great for your liver and detoxing your body
If you want more information on how kale is an amazing food, check out this incredible article on the Huffington Post from Drew Ramsey, Assistant Clinical Professor at Columbia University.
One of the other reasons I love kale so much is that it is a substitute for lettuce or spring mixes you can buy at the grocery store. For those of you who don’t enjoy the taste of kale, try adding spices such as Mrs. Dash or even some kind of vinaigrette dressing when you are trying it for the first time!
The recipe I am going to be sharing with you today is my favorite version of a kale salad. This is great meal for either lunch or dinner depending on if you decide to pair it with a lean protein such as chicken or fish.
- 6 large kale leaves
- ½ cup of cherry tomatoes
- 2 large carrots sticks
- ¼ cup of chopped red onions
- Large red pepper
- Large green pepper
- Large orange pepper
- Large yellow pepper
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 cup of quinoa
- Couple shakes of Mrs. Dash
- Your favorite dressing
Before prepping the salad, ensure that you wash each of these ingredients thoroughly with warm water.
- Chop kale leaves into half inch pieces
- Slice cherry tomatoes as thin as you feel appropriate
- Chop carrots sticks into small pieces
- Chop each of the peppers in half (saving ½ for another time)
- Chop the other of the peppers into small thin pieces
- Skin and cut cucumber into thin strips
- Cook quinoa based on directions on the box
- Boil 2 cups of water, add in 1 cup of quinoa and allow it to simmer
- Scoop ¼ red onions out of the package
Place each of these items into a large bowl. Add in each of the vegetables in whichever order you chose. Once quinoa is cooked, add it into the bowl, along with the red onions, Mrs. Dash, and your favorite dressing, Take tongs and mix up the entire mix. Let it chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes or however long you prefer. Once it is chilled, grab a bowl or a plate and you are ready to eat!! Enjoy!!
Trisha’s Aprons and Jewelry of Choice for Cooking Your Own Kale Salad:
- Apron: Green and Gorgeous (because kale is the same way!!)
- Earrings: Stud Angel Wings
- Necklace: Hourglass Double Ribbon Necklace