We are celebrating the birthday week of TrishaTrixie.
I thought it would be fun to reflect on some birthday traditions.
There are many theories as to why we have the birthday cake!
- The greeks were thought to take cakes to the gods at the beginning of a full moon and a birthday represents one full moon!
- In Germany, it was a tradition to make bread in the shape of the baby Jesus’s swaddling clothes.
But why do they put candles on the cake?
- Again, this looks at ancient Greek times. When the cakes were brought to the God’s they were lit with candles to look like the moon.
- The German’s were the first to use small candles on their cakes, as they were good candle makers.
- Candles were used in the center of cakes to represent the “light of life”
- Some cultures believed that the smoke from the candles would send your wishes up to heaven.
The Birthday Party
A party is usually had so that treats can be shared and presents can be given. However, this was not always the case.
- The earliest parties were planned because people thought that evil spirits would visit them on their birthdays. Friends and family stuck close so they could keep the spirits away.
- Later, they became traditions where people would come together and celebrate the life of the person having a birthday.
A good luck birthstone, good luck flower and good luck color have been assigned to each month of the year.
A tradition that we hold is the custom of wrapping gifts.
Check out this video on how to wrap a perfect gift.